Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Process

For the past two weeks, I have continued to work with acrylic and palette knife to create different results in a couple of paintings. The modeling paste I mentioned before had a great texture effect, I was really pleased to add an extra element in my work. I also did a 4-panel painting. Never done it before and I like how I can look at the panels as one or individually. The colors I chose for this project were more earth-tone, which is another difference in my work.

Acrylic is really an awesome medium. It never ceases to surprise me at how versatile it can be. I have discovered all sorts of "effects" I can mix with paint. So far, I have worked with modeling paste and I am about to try "black lava" and "gloss medium." There is this effect called "resin sand" that I am dying to try, but it is always sold out. I hope to get it this week. Can't wait to see what comes of it.

In most of my work, I have realized that the process really reflects in the art. If I enjoy the process, I feel like the piece has reached a new height after completion. Even if I did not start with a clear vision, as long as I am focused with the intention to experiment, the work still takes on a life of its own to communicate a specific emotion. With that being said, I do get frustrated when a creative block occurs. In this case, the only thing I can do is to take my time and not rush to produce. I think artists feel when he is ready to create. Rushing to anything is only a waste of time because one is not focused on the work, but instead is driven to produce meaningless pieces.

View my latest work @ www.helenhsu.com

No comments:

Post a Comment